Job ID: 2015011
Our Client is a service design consultancy, which creates useful, effective, and desirable digital services that people love. They help the world’s leading businesses make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of design. Our Client employs a diverse group of over 500 design professionals with expertise in business, design, research and technology – with 15 creative hubs around the globe.
The work environment appeals to self-motivated, flexible team players that have great interpersonal skills and lots of curiosity. We believe in peer relationships rather than hierarchies; in teams rather than lone thinkers. Our Client is all about an open collaborative approach and we think this is what enables us to deliver innovative, ground-breaking work.
We believe that not just our client but design practice globally is starting to reveal itself in the most powerful of places – the boardrooms of some of the biggest organizations in the world, with access to creating an impact on the lives of millions of people. There’s a lot of work to do. So they are growing their design team at the Berlin studio.
And to build it our client is looking for the keystones; They are looking for the brightest service design leaders of our time to define and deliver some of the most challenging design creativity to some of the most critical infrastructure that drives our complex world – a world of simultaneously logical data and irrational humanity.
The Customers of our client are more diverse than ever. The projects more varied than ever – in scope, type, and levels from the C-suite. The design team is thriving like never before because they are learning to address new challenges that every project brings.
If you think the word ‘digital’ means everything, and nothing, simultaneously, we’d love to hear from you.
The challenge / Business Design at our Client
The Business Design Lead makes sure our clients service design is based on properly defined, prioritized and measurable business goals, which their work rests on a sound business model and positioning, but also that it’s carefully aligned with the customer´s organizational and institutional setting.
As a Business Design, you will work collaboratively with other disciplines (User Insights, Experience Design, and Service Marketing) and with the customers of our client to create innovative digital services and experiences grounded in a business context. You should have an in-depth knowledge and experience in defining business opportunities and drivers for digital services and in developing compelling service strategies based on this.
Business Design Leads can lead strategy focused project streams and pitches and help focus the work of the experience design team from a business perspective. They can interpret customer and consumer needs, effectively communicate and present service strategies and possess a good commercial awareness. They are always looking for opportunities to review, iterate and refine the definition of business design and how to make it more valuable to our client´s customers.
- Collaborate with the Service Design Leads and Programme Manager to structure and plan business design work on projects
- Participate and contribute to the following Business Design activities (either as lead or as part of an assembled team):
- Stakeholder interviews
- Industry and trends research
- Competitor analysis and benchmarking
- KPI definition
- ROI modelling
- Customer Experience Touchpoint high level design
- Contribute to the definition of the service vision and proposition
- Contribute to the creation of service roadmaps
- Help ensure alignment with the defined business goals throughout the service design process
- Help baseline performance against defined KPIs, and subsequent measurement post Go-Live
- Define the relative roles and importance of marketing
- Take responsibility for the quality of business design and successful delivery of work in this area across various projects
- Lead and coordinate Business Design tracks independently or in conjunction with the Service Design Lead
New business (ca. 20 % of time)
- Shape and grow large client accounts from one project outward, helping shape how our client can add value and extend their presence, both to further our objectives and to help pull in further work
- Map out a client’s organization, and individuals’ motivations within and beyond individual project stakeholders
- Proactively develop and shape a network between clients and employees
- Provide business consulting on pitches, workshops and other new business projects as required, thus ensuring a strategic approach
- Ensure strategic value and integrity of project proposals
- Own the storyline and content creation for strategy-focused pitch and new business presentations
- Lead and manage strategy heavy pitch projects
- Work closely with, and be available to, the respective business development (sales) teams in pursuing new business leads and converting client briefs into booked projects
- Support the business development team with strategic input, client meetings, presentations and proposal writing
Internal Tasks (ca. 10% of time)
- Collaborate with the Service Design Director to weave business design approaches into our client´s service design and establish it as a core competency
- Participate in the extension of our client´s methodology and develop any additional tools necessary to constantly seek improvement
- Train Service Design Leads and designers in business design methodologies, tools and best practices
- Be involved in the recruitment and line management of other business designers
- Publicly promote our client´s business design competence and thought leadership in this area through blog postings, conference participation and social media
- Foster knowledge sharing in Business Design across projects and offices
- 8+ years relevant industry experience (business design, design strategy, business, IT or brand strategy consulting)
- Excellent English; German language skills are a plus
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to quickly understand situations and issues and to make connections between related and unrelated areas
- Determine Key Information – ability to describe the essence of a situation or issue in terms that people can easily understand
- Work under pressure – ability to work efficiently and quickly in a high pressure environment
- Comfortable with ambiguity – ability to structure own work when boundaries and stakeholders are not clear
- Politically astute – able to understand the politics at play within a given client’s organisation
- Presentation skills – able to structure and present a compelling client-facing presentation, be it a pitch or a client deliverable. This also includes the ability to share and ‘pre-wire’ the attendees of a presentation to minimize surprises and avoid ambushes
- Strong communication – constantly and appropriately communicating, in a timely manner to the right people. High degree of professionalism of language, both written and verbal
- Seeing the bigger picture – be able to maintain a sense of where each piece of work fits within the overall project or product
- Making connections – ability to combine different bodies of thought or experiences and ensure the team is well connected and engaged
- Empathetic – able to build good rapport with clients quickly and understand their needs. Willing to put clients’ needs before personal agendas
- Eager to learn – keen to understand more about the bigger picture and what is motivating clients
- Flexible – ability to multi-task and re-plan in real time, handling more than one client request or project at a time and willing to reprioritise quickly where needed
- Professional – keeping all client communication and team communication ‘above the line’, not blaming for mistakes. Seeking root causes rather than guilt
- Integrity – desire to ensure that clients’ privacy and confidentiality is respected at all times
- Team-driven – able and willing to build team morale by delivering on expectations, contributing on time and going the extra mile to ensure team success
- Experienced in business development from lead generation through proposal writing and proposal delivery
- Experienced in working in multi-disciplinary design teams
- Prior experience designing applications that balance user needs, commercial interests and technological constraints
- Able to clearly present strategies
- Proficient in relevant software packages
Zufriedenheit aus der eigenen Leistung ziehen: bei unserem Mandanten ein ganz normaler Arbeitstag. So wie viele Tage, an denen Sie fachlich und persönlich wachsen werden: durch immer neue Herausforderungen und Technologien. Durch umfassende Trainings und individuelle Förderung. Und durch den Wissens- und Erfahrungsaustausch mit Kollegen weltweit. Sie sind uns herzlich willkommen, weil wir wissen, dass Sie uns bereichern werden. Mit Ihrem Können. Mit Ihren Fragen. Und mit Ihrer Bewerbung!
Tel: +49 (0) 89/ 41 41 411 – 20